In Mexico after a long party night and a morning of headaches, many Mexicans seek a spicy cure to their vigorous hangover. Chilaquiles offer a hearty and renewing experience after a few too many tequilas, and are delicious for any meal. You can prepare the dish as mild or piquante (spicy) as you desire.
This is a perfected recipe. You are free to add more chiles de árbol (tree chiles) if you like a spicier taste. You can also include more chiles guajillos in the salsa for a spicy vinaigrette flavor . Fresh aguacates (avocados) make a great embellish, and their texture and flavor aid extinguish the fire in your mouth.
- 450 grs. tortilla chips
- 200 grs. tomatoes roasted in a pan until black
- 50 grs. chile guajillo, deveined, de-seeded and softened in warm water
- 8 chiles de árbol, roasted in a pan until fragrant
- 10 grs. white onion roasted in a pan
- 2 garlic cloves, roasted with husks on in a pan
- 20 grs. red onion in thin half-moon slices
- 50 grs. queso adobera (a mild cheese that melts well), or grated Monterey jack or gouda)
- Avocado slices or cubes
- Jocoque is the ideal topping, but thick cream or sour cream can be substituted
This is one of the many recipes made over the years to use yesterday’s tortillas. You can fry your own, cut or tear them in pieces then let them sit uncovered overnight to toughen. This way, they don’t absorb so much oil. Fry them crisp in hot oil to cover. roast the tomato, onion and garlic in the toaster oven. It can also be done in a dry skillet on the stovetop. The charred, blackened spots enhance the flavor of the salsa.
- In a blender make pure the tomato, chile guajillo, peeled garlic, onion and chile de árbol.Add salt to taste.
- In a baking dish, put the tortilla chips and top with the sauce, add the cheese and red onion.
- Preheat the oven at 180° C and bake the chilaquiles until the cheese melts.
- Serve, garnished top with chopped onion, avocado and jocoque or cream as desired.
This authentic Mexican Recipe of Chilaquiles Con Chile Rojo is a true favorite. Enjoy
Mexican Kitchen In A Box # 3 $48
- authentic Mexican tortilla press
- authentic Mexican Maseca 2.2 lb package
- authentic Mexican tortilla warmer with lid
- authentic Mexican med. heavyweight comal (Mexican Griddle)
- authentic Mexican bottle salsa ranchera 370 g